USE WHAT YOU HAVE, TO DO WHATSOEVER GOOD THING YOU CAN DO – ACTS 9:36-43
- INTRODUCTION: The topic of today’s Indoor lecture is using what you do to do good for others or to others Acts 9:36 to 43, tells the story of a lady, by name, Tabita, which is interpreted to mean Dorcas, she was a disciple of Christ, a very good lady; her occupation was sowing clothes or she was a seamstress. The Bible describes her as a woman full of good works and charitable deeds. She used her profession or career to do good things for people around her, especially widows, she was kind; she touched the lives of very many people positively and she was able to put smiles on the faces of the needy. As a seamstress, she used her career or occupation to show kindness to the needy including the widows; she made clothes for them, and God reworded her through Peter who prayed for her to come back to life.
- THE PURPOSE OR OBJECTIVES OF THIS INDOOR LECTURE:
- The main objective of this indoor lecture is to teach Christians that they can use their occupation or talents or career to extend hospitality to the needy persons around them, knowing very well that they will RECEIVE REWARDS FROM GOD, for being their brothers’ keepers.
Others objectives are:
- To inform the Christians that it pays to do good for others at all times and God will certainly reward us for whatever good deeds we do to others.
- To let all of us accept the fact that there are a lot of blessings accruing to us from God for whatever good things we do for others in this life.
B2: BEHAVIOURAL OBJECTIVES
- After listening to this lecture today, All members of this church – Uyo Town Church of Christ, will be able to develop new attitudes towards helping the needys around us – be they our blood relatives, brothers, sisters, cousins, nephews, our parents, people from our communities, towns, villages, state, country, all parts of the world and more especially our Brothers and Sisters in Christ.
- WHAT IS YOUR OCCUPATION OR CAREER?
Our occupations or careers could be any of the following, or may not be included here, but you know that you have one occupation or the other or you have a talent or talents:
- A tailor or seamstress;
- Shoe mender or shoe maker;
- Carpenter, or furniture maker;
- Driver: bus, tricycle or keke, taxi, motor cycle, etc.
- Medical Doctors and ;
- Business man/lady, a merchant, trader, importer, exporter, builders, painters;
- Farmer: Palm fruits, poultry farm, fish farm, water leaves;
- Arm forces: Police man/lady, judges, military, security, etc.
- Politician – Governing people;
- Civil servant/public servant
- Teaching: Teacher, tutor, instructor, lecturer, professor, pupils, students, etc.
- Preaching: Minister, preachers, elders, deacons;
- House whole member – husband, wife, children, servants, father, mother;
- Miners, working in the oil companies, Engineers;
- Managers, Bankers, Lawyers;
- Cleaners, custodians;
- Self employed in one form or the other;
- Task force, cleaners;
- Printers – computer owners, operators, typists, machinist, etc.
- ETC, ETC, ETC.
If your own occupation is not included, please beer with me, you know quite well that you have an occupation. What really matters is whether you have been using your occupation, or talents to do good things for others, especially the needy.
- DISCUSS HOW WE HAVE USED OUR OCCUPATIONS/
TALENTS TO DO GOOD OR HELP THE NEEDY
AROUND US. (FEW OF THESE)
- Tailors and Seamstresses
- Teachers, Lawyers, Judges,
- Medical Doctors/Nurses
- Computer operators
- Business owners
- Pupils/students, children
- Police man/woman etc.
- Civil servants
- Children, pupils, students. Servants, etc.
- DISCUSSIONS: CONTRIBUTIONS FROM MEMBERS
REGARDING THEIR OCCUPATIONS ON HOW THEY
HAVE BEEN USING WHAT THEY HAVE TO DO
WHATEVER GOOD THING THEY CAN DO FOR THE
- Starting from Tailors and Seamstresses;
- Teachers, Tutors, Instructors, Lecturers, Professors;
- EXAMPLES OF FEW PERSONS IN THE BIBLE WHO USED WHAT THEY HAD TO HELP OTHERS
- Dorcars – Made clothes for the less privileged and widows. Acts 9:36-43, and her reward.
- Cornelus – A military personnel, used to give arms generously to the people, Act 10:1-7 and the Reward – Acts 10:34-35, Acts 10:47-48.
- Abraham: Entertained strangers, Gen. 18:1-10 Reward, the strangers who told Abraham that his wife, Sarah would have a baby, and the people also informed Abraham of this mission, Gen. 18:12-28.
- Shunamonite Woman – 2Kings 4:8-17, this woman showed kindness to Prophet Elisha by preparing a room in their house for Elisha.
Reward: She was promised a child.
There are very many examples of those who used their means of livelihood to help others, and they were highly recognized by God, and God also rewarded them in one way or the other.
HOW WE CAN USE WHAT WE HAVE TO BE OF HELP TO OTHER PEOPLE ALL OF US HAVE DIFFERENT OCCUPATIONS AND TALENTS: CHILDREN, MEN AND WOMEN, FOR EXAMPLE, At any time we have opportunity, we should do good to all people, ESPECIALLY the Christians – Gal. 6:9-10.
Children are to be obedient to their parents –Gal.6 1-4,
Children should respect elderly people – I do not know whether it can happened these, but when we were children, it was expected that the children should always great the elderly people, if an elderly man/woman carried some load, a boy or girl would help the elderly person to carry the load, even push his bicycle for him.
They are not allowed to use their youthfulness to do bad things – 1Tim. 4-12; men, women, children are to avoid using bad words – Eph. 4:29; Eph. 4:31-32.
My grandmother used to say – Mfonuyo Akan Eno
LET ME TELL YOU WHAT HAPPENED ON FRIDAY, MARCH 3, 2017
I was in my office preparing this lecture, a lady knocked very hard on my door. I said please come in, she opened the door, and fell down in my office carrying a baby. She started crying. I was confused, and asked her who she is and what is the problem she wept bitterly without telling who she was; please guess what happened!?
In conclusion, I want to encourage all of us to use whatever we have to be of help to others and God will bless us.
Thank you and God bless!!
UYO TOWN CHURCH OF CHRIST, 20 PAUL BASSEY ST. UYO
AKWA IBOM STATE, NIGERIA
DATE: MARCH 5, 2017
INDOOR LECTURES BY BRO. BASSEY A. AKPAKPAN