Aim: To know the importance of home and how to build and sustain a successful home.
- Home is home
- I am home sick
- Oh, I feel at home being here
These expressions demonstrate the value of home and the importance peopleattach to home.
- We all are members of one HOME or another.
- The success of a home is primarily the desire/concern of every same member of the home.
- The home should serve beyond providing accommodation for the family. It is supposed to be the happiest place on earth.
- Indeed a successful home brings about happiness and a feeling of actualization and fulfillment about one’s achievement.
- Builders of successful homes could be seen as salt of the earth and light of the world(Matt. 5:13-14).
- Bad homes, divided homes, unhappy homes and truly, unsuccessful homes usually result in men and womenwho are normally deficient and commit all forms of atrocities and social vices.
– Such homes serve as breeding ground for miscreants, terrorist, militants, insurgents etc.
Important GuidelinesTo Building And Sustaining A Successful Home
- Begin With A Plan (Blue print)
Compare to a building plan.
How do you want your home to be in terms of approach to worship, profile of yourwife and children, number of children, public image etc.?
- Lay A Proper Foundation
A house is not better than its foundation.
Outline the responsibilities of each member and work towards achieving them.
- Assemble Things In The Proper Order
- God before anything else.
- Partner before self.
- Partner before children.
- Children before others.
- Do The Right Thing At The Right Time
Remember, aneglectedopportunity hardly comes back.
- Cover Everything With Love
The Secret Of Success
- Some home emerge successful as a result of hard work, some out of benevolence, some by chance and some by design (careful play). In each case, it is a real privilege to have a successful home, and it takes God’s grace to happen.
A successful home does not depend on material possession but on the following indices:
- Possession of the kingdom of God and his righteousness (Matt. 6:311-33)
- Genuine love (1Cor.13:4-8; John 13:35).
- Submissiveness (Eph. 5:24-25; 1Pet. 3:1,6,7).
- Patience, tolerance/endurance/forbearance.
- Show of sympathy, kindness and concern (partner before self).
- The wife must preoccupy the heart of the husband and vice versa (Prov. 31:10-11, 26, 27).
- Be ye of one mind (1Pet. 3:8-9).
- Avoid undue argument. Learn to resolve issues against yourself for peace to reign.
- Husband to be faithful to wife and wife to husband on matters of intimacy.
- Act always as if the angel of God (or husband/wife) is watching you within and outside the home (Phil. 1:27).
- Effective Communication BetweenPartners and Among Members of the Home.
- Do not keep vital information (secret) from each other partner. In case of sudden death the family will suffer seriously.
- To other members of the home, it is wise to operate on the need to know basis.
- If you have a partner who is hardly satisfied with what you do to please him/her, KEEP ON SEARCHING for better ways, perhaps you have not yet done enough to discover the secret of his/her happiness, or God wants to test your endurance.
- Mind how you keep records of event, especially bad or sad ones. And be careful the way you recall them, even the good ones.
- Always head your partner to a progressive path taking cognizance of the future. Work towards attainment of goal.
- Know the strength of your partner, acknowledge and encourage him/her to excel.
- Identify the weakness and work towards improvement.Avoid capitalizing on each other’sweakness to satire orcastigate.
- Always think of one good thing or do to your partner each day.
- Maintain good personal hygiene and environmental cleanliness at home.
- Imbibe and sustain effective parenting(Details in Annexure).
- Show good attitude towards people who visit the family.
- Trust in God, do theright and fear no evil.
GUIDE TO EFFECTIVE PARENTING
- From infancy, feed the child with positive, fascinating stories of the Bible and encourage him to commune with God always. (Prov. 22:6; Deut. 6:6,7).
- Give children the right type of education at appropriate time (Prov.22:6)
iii. Identify the talent and capabilities of the child and use as a guide develop him.
- Teach the child simple moral ethics. Do not leave it to school and church alone.
- Allow reasonable sessions for useful interaction with your children.
- Correct and reward children with appropriate but mild sanctions.
vii. Try, the much you can to send your children to school, learn a trade or run a business venture to enable them earn a living.
viii. Encourage your children to coexist peacefully – sharing ideas love, ideas and material things.
- Do your best to leave a legacy or inheritance for your children.
- Show good examples to your children in deeds and utterances.
- Do not allow your children to be lazy while imposing all domestic chores on the house maid.
Do not allow your children to be lazy while imposing all domestic chores on the house maid.
1 Tim 5:9-10
Review Of Lesson Taught In July, 2014 By Bro. (Dr.) E. J. Effiong (Elder)