SUNDAY, 25TH JANUARY, 2015
In all spheres of endeavour, time makes a difference in our lives – physically, behaviorally and economically. Let us consider the following excepts:
I. When I took office, I was 44, then I could count white hairs on my head, now I am 51, I am now counting the black hairs on my head.
Babatunde Fashola, Daily Sun Newspaper
Page 45, January 22, 2015.
II. When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child, but when I became a man I put away childish things.
Apostle Paul; 1 Cor. 13:11
III. To everything there is a season and a time.
- The first except expresses the fact that there is a physical difference in the bodily growth of a man between two points in time in his life.
- The second shows the difference in a man’s behaviour between the time of his childhood and that of adulthood.
- The third tells us that everything has its own time. If it fails to take place at such a time, it becomes late and such a time cannot represent itself.
- The difference that time makes may occur naturally, it may occur as a result of a conscious or unconscious effort.
- In whatever circumstance the specific event that takes place at a given time is what determines the direction of difference over time.
WHAT IS THE DIRECTION OF DIFFERENCE THAT TIME MAKES IN YOUR LIFE?
A right-thinking person would normally recall significant events in his life between two points in time. A comparison of these events will help to determine the direction of difference that time makes in his life. If you compare what took place in your life in 2014 and what took place today, you will know the direction of difference.
You will know the direction of difference if you recall:
– What happened when you started a business venture and how the business stands today.
– How it was when you enrolled in the school you attended and what happened now if you are still a student.
– How it was when you were single and what happens today if you are married.
– How it was when you once served as a house maid or sales maid and how it is with you today.
– How it was with you when you remained an obedient child or servant and today that you have assumed an authoritarian and independent status.
– How it was when you were a wicked and stubborn young man/woman and today that you are a born again Christian.
ILLUSTRATION WITH THE PRODIGAL SON – LUKE 15:11-17
- Time made a real difference in the life of the prodigal son.
– His father was rich but as a result of his youthful lust he took his share of the father’s wealth and squandered in a far country.
– When the riches got exhausted he saw himself serving as casual labourer caring for pigs and struggling with them for food.
– The direction of the difference was tragic for the prodigal son because he abused his youthful time which made his life miserable.
- Today, the case of the prodigal son is a big challenge to our youth and all of us to make meaningful use of the time and opportunity we have.
- The year 2015 is just beginning, what direction of difference do you plan to make as the year advances?
- What difference do you want to make in:
– Your business venture
– Your academic endeavour
– Your marital home
– Your Christian life
- The truth is that at any point in one’s life, time must make a difference.
- The difference itself matters but what matters more is the nature of the difference, the direction of the difference and the significance of the difference; to you as a person, to fellow human beings and to God the Creator.
- In the strange country, time made a difference in the life of the prodigal son but that difference translated into hunger, distress and frustration.
- Are you a son, daughter, wife, husband, maid, businessman, professional, labourer, politician or clergy; what difference do you plan that time makes in your life? The ball is in your court.
- Join me to say this:
‘With Christ, I am resolved that time will make a meaningful and rewarding difference in my life this year in Jesus Name – Amen.
UYO TOWN CHURCH OF CHRIST
SERMON BY BRO (DR.) E. J. EFFIONG (ELDER)