In all circumstances of life, we are watched daily by people and God. By so doing we are being weighed and assessed to see how we stand before God and man. The purpose is to know the level of our performances in different spheres of life.
Paul, in the Book of 2 Corinthians Chapter 3 verse 2 says, ‘Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men.’
The leaders we have are being weighed in the balances and assessed; the subjects (followers) too, undergo the same process.
In the Church, you are being weighed and assessed, so is it in your family, place of work and the society you find yourself. In each situation, comments are made and actions taken – whether rightly or wrongly, instantly or remotely.
Let us take a lesson from a leader in the Bible who was weighed in the balances. It was King Belshazzar of Babylon (Dan. 5:1-30)
Belshazzar reigned for fourteen years. He was a cruel king, a tyrant, lacking in moral fibre and leadership.
- Engagement of Babylon in a battle with the joint forces of Medes and Persia – Babylon falling province by province.
- The foolishness of Belshazzar manifested:
- Conducting a feast for a thousand of his lords while the enemies surrounded the city.
- Commanding the use of the golden and silver vessels of God in drinking during the feast.
- God was angered:
- Fingers of a man’s hand wrote on the wall in the king’s palace.
- It was a terrifying thing to the king and all his guests
- The king’s countenance changed and his thoughts troubled.
- Worst still, the king’s magicians and sorcerers could neither read nor interpret the writing on the wall.
- Daniel was invited (Dan. 5:10-16)
- Daniel opted to read and interpret the writing but rejected the king’s offer of reward (5:17)
- Daniel referred to atrocities of Nebuchadnezzar’s reign and apprehended Belshazzar for having failed to learn a lesson. (Dan. 5:18-24)
- Daniel read and interpreted the writing thus;
MENE MENE TEKEL U-PHARSIN (Dan. 5:25)
Meaning of the writing
- MENE: God has numbered thy kingdom and finished it.
- TEKEL: Thou art weighed in the balances and found wanting
- PERES: Thy kingdom is divided and given to the Medes and Persians
- In that night, Belshazzar was slain, and his kingdom captured by the Medes and Persians according to the writing on the wall.
- Daniel was rewarded as the third in command.
People are watching you at all times but God watches you the more.
People are reading you at all times but God reads you the more.
People are weighing and assessing you at all times but God weighs and assesses you the more.
As you are being watched, read, weighed and assessed, how do you perform:
- in the church?
- at home?
- in your place of work?
- in the school?
- in the society?
You shall be found wanting if you fail to perform in any of these places.
MAY GOD HELP US IN THIS MATTER IN JESUS NAME – AMEN.
UYO TOWN CHURCH OF CHRIST, 20 PAUL BASSEY STREET UYO
SERMON PRESENTED BY DR. E. J. EFFIONG
28TH JANUARY, 2018