Explaining the Keywords:
- Characteristics of being neighbourly.
- A disposition to be friendly.
What is it to be neighbourly?
- Showing the quality of a friendly and helpful neighbor.
- Exhibiting the qualities expected in a friendly neighbor
Having and exhibiting an anti-social character towards neighbours.
Egocentric – self-centered and not selfless person.
Who is your neighbour?
- Everyone in your neighbourhood/vicinity.
- Everyone in your workplace.
- Everyone in your home town/village or community.
- Everyone in your state/country.
- Everyone in the whole universe.
- Everyone in your church with particular reference to your preacher or minister.
Your obligation towards your neighbour:
– To be friendly and sociable with your neighbour
– To be helpful to your neighbour – have a helping hand.
– To be your neighbour’s’ keeper – have a fair knowledge of the background of your neighbour.
– Interest on social and spiritual issues with your neighbours.
Luke 10:29-37 – The story of a good Samaritan
The blessings of belonging to the era of the new spiritual covenant.
The directive in the old law on neighbour
Only the children of Israel could be treated neighbourly while other nations were considered as enemies. Those that killed intentionally and even escape to any of the cities of refuge were to be brought back to face death while the new covenant even an armed robber has the opportunity to repent and be completely cleansed and be forgiven by our Almighty Father.
Rom.13:8 – Owe not one anything than to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law.
Rom.13:10 – Love does no harm to a neighbour, therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
Eph. 4:25 – Speak the truth with your neighbour.
BELONGING TO AN ERA OF GRACE WITH JESUS CHRIST; AND KNOWING WHO OUR NEIGHBOURS ARE
How do we relate with our neighbour
- Do we exhibit anti-social attitude towards our neighbours?
- Are we concerned with the plight or joy of our neighbours?
- How helpful are we to the less privileged?
- How helpful are we to the development of our communities and our country at large?
- How concerned are we with the welfare of Gospel Ministers?
Are you neighbourly or unneighbourly?
Remember that being unneighbourly is a sin and the lives of such people are influenced by the devil and their final destination is the bottomless pit (hell).
Flee from all appearances of evil or sin and embrace every act of nighbourliness. God bless us for accepting His word and taking it very serious in our day to day living
UYO TOWN CHURCH OF CHRIST, 20 PAUL BASSEY STREET, UYO
SERMON PRESENTED BY BROTHER ENEFIOK ETUK ON 30TH APRIL, 2017