The holy book makes it clear to us that “If the son of God makes us free, we shall be free indeed”; John 8:36. If we are free, we shall know the truth and the truth shall continue to make us free, John 8:32. Once we are free and in Christ Jesus, there is no more condemnation for us (Rom. 8:1).
One who is free and enjoys the happiness that is in freedom can never risk the chance of going back to bondage. Brother Paul’s admonition is apt. “Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage” (Gal. 5:1).
Unfortunately, many Christians have not been able to stand fast in the liberty with which Christ hath made us free. They have entangled themselves with the yoke of bondage and have made shipwreck of their faith is Christ Jesus (I Tim. 1:19), piercing themselves through many sorrows (I Tim. 6:10).
HOW DO CHRISTIANS ENTANGLE THEMSELVES WITH THE YOKE OF BONDAGE? BY:
- Patronizing denominational prayer houses: This group of people are in real bondage. They live at the mercy of their so called man/woman of god (the daddies and mummies). Once daddy or mummy warns, they cannot go out.
- Yielding to superstitions (e.g. belief in the existence of ghost; sacrificing in marriage; covenant breaking etc). They also live in fear and at the mercies of their deceivers.
- Initiating into secret organizations: These have completely lost the liberty that is in Christ. They live in fear of the unknown. They know that this secret organization will take their lives one day, but the time that shall happen remains confusing to them. Hence in their private time they live in dejection only pretending to be easy going in the public.
- Yielding to fornication and adultery: They are also in bondage. In some homes there is no freedom in answering phone calls because of crafty and insincerity in relationship amongst members of the family (wife and husband; mother and daughter; son and father, daughter and father, son and mother). No communication liberty in such house.
- Yielding to negative fear: Some have developed phobia for almost everything: a giant size of rodent; star insects; bats; witchcraft; fear of the night – which God meant for our rest after daily toiling. At such points they completely forget that God is the one who is in control of everything and that He has called us to be in liberty through Christ Jesus. However, our brother Paul, in all these, admonishes that “You should overcome them by standing fast in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made you free”. Remember that we were not given the spirit of bondage again to fear, Rom. 8:15. That you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you, Phil. 4:13. That if you commit your way to the Lord He shall help you to establish – Psalm 37:5.
The unbaptized are in the bondage of sin. They need not waste any more time. Christ is beckoning on you to come out from depravity, moral bankruptcy and despondency. Grope no more in the world of darkness. Come out from the bondage of sin and be baptized into Christ, to enjoy the liberty that is in Him. Come and receive salvation for your soul. May God help you to do this.
To everyone of us, May the grace of God which surpasses human understanding hold our hearts and make us stand in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, in Jesus name. Amen.
UYO TOWN CHURCH OF CHRIST, 20 PAUL BASSEY STREET, UYO
SERMON PRESENTED BY BROTHER E. W. UDOKAH
ON 16TH APRIL, 2017