Let me begin with a story of a teacher who always seemed absent minded. Many did not understand why he always absent minded, until the man’s story was told. The man missed a chance of his lifetime career. He was awarded scholarship to study overseas, an opportunity of a lifetime. He called people all around to come and celebrate with him for that purpose. He was overtaken by the joy to the extent that he celebrated and forgot to report at the airport on time to take off for the scholarship journey. Arriving late at the airport, he only witnessed his scheduled flight taking off the runway. He could not reschedule the flight, and there was no other alternative, so he missed the golden opportunity. Since then his mind never remain the same.
This same thing or similar may happen to any person who is not time conscious
- Many have been sacked for reporting late at duty
- Many have missed employment for attending interview late
- Many have missed promotion because of attending promotion interview late
- And, many of similar situations affected by not keeping to time.
DANGERS OF LATENESS AS SEEN IN THE SCRIPTURES:
- The book of second Samuel 20:4-12 points out some dangers of lateness to assignment. Amasa who was a commander to King David’s army was commanded by King David to fetch Sheba who was perceived an enemy of David. Amasa left but could not return in the stipulated time of three days. What followed was that he was replaced by Joab, verse 6 shows that he was replaced even while on duty as supposed. He ran the risk of being misunderstood of having formed alignment with the enemy of the King. This gave room for Joab to take the place of the commanders, the result of this delay on Amasa was death, he died in the hands of Joab. So if this can happen amongst men, how much more GOD? Amasa of this generation have you heard?
- In the book of Act 5:1-10 we have heard of a lady called Sapphira, it was Sapphera’s lateness that led to her destruction. If she had witnessed the event of her husband’s death, she probably would change her mind to speak the truth.
Sapphiras of this generation have you heard?
In Matt. 25:43 – The five virgins also were late to the appointed hours, and they missed out of the wedding ceremony.
Unwise virgins of this generation have you heard?
WHAT LATENESS DOES TO YOUR PERSONALITIES
- It demonstrates that you are not diligent and not dependable.
- It indicates that you do not honour your commitment and you cannot be trusted.
- It shows that you have no respect for other people and that you do not care as about their time as much as your own.
- It makes you loose your value.
- Does not set a good example for your children and others who look up to you.
Advice: Having heard this:-
(1) Resolve today to be keeping all appointment, both social and spiritual on time.
(2) On Sunday’s get up from your bed early and prepare for your service.
(3) If the distance from where you live to where you wish to go is far, give yourself 30-40 minutes ahead of appointed time.
(4) Our agreement in this church on time for Sunday service is 9am and 6pm for midweek classes, women classes 5pm, make sure you give GOD the honour by being here before the appointed time.
(5) Let us give our GOD respect and reverence by keeping to all Church activities on time.
MAY GOD HELP US TO DO THIS IN JESUS CHRIST NAME – AMEN.
UYO TOWN CHURCH OF CHRIST, 20 PAUL BASSEY STREET, UYO
SERMON PRESENTED BY BROTHER G. E. UMANAH (ELDER)