To who, why, cumulative effect on the last day or Judgement day.
- Meaning of Blessed (Blessing)
The New Internal Webster’s Comprehensive Dictionary of the English Language p.145 defines bless
thus: (i) to bless, to honour and exalt (ii) To invoke God’s favour upon a person: Blessed has been
defined thus: Being in enjoyment of Felicity in Heaven or being honoured.
- Introduction: The word Blessed has been written and used in the Holy Bible for more than 200 times, as God blessing people or Jesus Christ blessing people because of one thing or the other. Time will not allow us to go through all of them in the Bible, but we will select just a few of them from the Old Testament and New Testament.
- Who receives the blessings.
- How many blessings have we as individuals received (each person will score himself or herself).
- How many can one person cumulate till the day of judgement.
Let’s use earthly thing to demonstrate cumulative effects of Blessed/Blessing on Nov., 3 2018,
University of Uyo had the 24th Convocation Ceremony when a total of 4539 persons were awarded
different classes of degrees, diplomas and certificates and they were recommended to receive the
degrees, diplomas and certificates because they HAVE SATISFIED THE REQUIREMENTSOF THE
STATUTES AND REGULATIONS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF UYO, AND WHO HAVE BEEN FOUND
WORTH IN CHARACTER AND IN LEARNING TO BE AWARDED– Degrees, Certificates or
SHOW THE BOOK
Those whose names were not included in this book did not receive anything. Some of them started to
weepbitterly. Some of those whose names were not in this book have invited their parents, brothers,
sisters, friends, and other family members, and these persons were highly disappointed and angry.
But! What could anger do? Some persons/students used to deceive their parents/relatives that they
were students of University of Uyo and collected money from their parents and rented houses in Uyo
to live comfortably, but they have not been admitted into the University at all. Their parents were
badly disappointed. But being angry is not enough, the Truth Must Be Told.
- Free blessings without our owncontributions. After God has created human beings, He blessed them out of God’s benevolence Gen. 1:26-28.
- God sent His son, Jesus Christ to the world, because He so loved the world, but man must believe in Jesus John 3:16.
- Not only believing human beings must now do something: He/she must be preached to, hear theworld of God. He/she must believe, be baptized in order to receive salvation. Mark 16:15-16, Matt. 28:18. He/she must hear the world of God and the word must touch him/her, or make him/her to be worried and to ask what to do: Acts 2:37-38. He/she must repent and be baptized for remission of sins and to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost as a gift and must continue to be taught Matt. 28:18-20.
What can a human being now do in order to receive/obtain the blessings or be blessed by God, Jesus
Christ and Holy Spirit.
Before now, we have been receiving Free Blessings but we must do something to obtain
blessings. Each of us should now count or keep a record of the Blessings which we have received to
be able to be confirmed on the day of judgement.
Let’s start from Judgement Day, then move back to see how we cumulated those blessings: Matt.
25: 31-34. Jesus Christ will come with all the Holy Angels – separate the sheep from the goods – He
will then say – Come, you Blessed of my Father, what did you do to merit this honour?
I start from the Old Testaments.
(a) Those things we did for God:
Psm 1: 1-3 – the man who walks not in council –
Psm 15:1-4 – Lord who may abide, who walks –
Psm. 40:4 –Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust
Psm. 33:12 – Blessed is the nation whose is their Lord
Psm 84:5 – Blessed is the man whose strength is in you, whose heart is set on righteousness…
Psm. 89:15 –Blessed are the people who know the joyful sound…
Psm. 119:1-3 –Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who….
Psm. 128:1-2 – Blessed is everyone who fears the Lord…
New Testament, Jesus Christ speaking
Matt. 5: 8 5, 8: Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
Matt. 5 – Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness…
The Next areas of Blessings are what we do to or for other human beings or our own relationships with people:
How do we relate with people? Start with the Old Testament
Psm. 41”1-3 – Blessed is he who considers the poor…
Psm. 106:3 – Blessed are those who keep justice…
(speak on this and give example)
Ephesians 4:26, 29 (26) Therefore putting away lying,…
(29) – Let no corrupt ward …
1 Peter 2:1, – Therefore, laying away all malice
Matt. 5: 5 – Blessed are the meek…
Matt. 5:7 – Blessed are the merciful…
Matt. 5:9 – Blessed are the peacemaker…
On the last day, all the blessings which we have received will be cumulative and presented to those
who will be on the right hand side of the Lord Jesus, and they will be rejoicing first as those students
whose cumulative grade points Averages made them to rejoice – with 1stclass, 2ndclass upper, lower,
3rd class, pass, etc. etc.
Can we now assemble all our blessings and smile and put ourselves in the place of Paul who said in
the 2 Tim. 4:7, I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race..
Do we know that many people know that they are going to die?
Tell the incidence of ___________________
Has everybody kept a record of his or her blessings? May God bless us and keep us…
The Lord bless thee and keep thee,
The Lord make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee.
The Lord lift up His countenance upon thee and give thee peace. Amen!
UYO TOWN CHURCH OF CHRIST, 20 PAUL BASSEY STREET, UYO
SERMON BY BRO. BASSEY A. AKPAKPAN ON 18TH NOV. 2018