(1 Kings 1:6)
Aim of the Sermon:
- This sermon is aimed at showing the result of negligence of discipline on children and the impending result on the child and parents.
- To show the need for proper parenting and its effects on the child, parents, church, and the society at large.
:First Kings chapter one verse six (1 Kings 1:6) carries an unbelievable remark about a relationship between a father and son. The story calls for serious attention even now as most of us parents for some obvious reasons have neglected child’s discipline. Our homes, church, schools and entire society is decaying beyond expectations.
Our youths have gone into hard drugs, cultism, cybercrime, prostitution and arm robbery. Our young Christians are no exception. Parents have developed serious sicknesses as a result of their children’s waywardness. What is the future of our childrenin a society that hope seems to be completely lost?
But before one asked the above question, it is pertinent that we parents ask ourselves, what we have planted into the lives of our children so that as they grow up they will become useful children to themselves, to parents, the church and, the society.
Discussion:There is the law of cause and effect. The bible says that whatever we sow, the same we shall reap – Gal. 6:7
Eventhough peer pressure has certain effects on children, if parents do that which is necessary and at the right time, God on our side and with prayers we can have children that will make our hearts gladdened.
- 22:6 “Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, hewill not depart from it”. I believe the word of God. This word will ever accomplished what it was meant. The word ‘TRAIN’ when used for a plant or branch, means to encourage to grow in a particular direction or shape, usually by pruning and bending.
When we examined the text of our sermon, it carries an unbelievableremark of the family of King David. It happened at his old age. The result of his negligence yielded result that caused him heartache.
Adonijah according to NIV Bible was very HANDSOME. Maybe that was the reason the father refused to displeased him at any time.
- One of the instruments that will displease our children is DISCIPLINE. But it is only the medium to mold our children towards a better future. Hebrews chapter 12:5-13, presents discipline as the desired instrument for molding, pruning, and bending the child.
– Child discipline takes many dimensions depending on situation and offenses.
– It must be adequately applied to yield positive result.
Prov. 22:15 “Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child, but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him”.
Prov. 23:13 “Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die”.
Vs. 14 “Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell”.
- No amount of love to your children should remove discipline.
AGENCIES THAT ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR CHILD’S DEVELOPMENT
- The home
It is very sad that the above institutions have failed in their responsibilities.
Homes no longer teach their children morals and values that are acceptable before God and man. Those who boast of travelling to America, Europe, Asia and Canada have come back to tell us that it is wrong to raised your voice on your child. They say that America cannot go wrong but when Obama of America signed gay marriage rights to wed a man or a dog in the church they shouted.
Abraham Lincoln, one time president of America had confident in his son’s teacher. See the letter he wrote to his son’s teacher showing that a teacher has apart in molding, the character of his son.
ABRAHAM LINCOLN’S LETTER TO HIS SON’S TEACHER
He will have to learn, I know, that all men are not true. But teach him also that for every Scoundrel there is a hero, which for every selfish politician, there is dedicated leader.
Teach him that for every enemy there is a friend
Teach him that a dollar earn is of more value than five found.
Teach him to learn lose and to enjoy winning. Steer him away from envy if you can.
Teach him the secret of quiet laughter.
Teach him the wonder of books. But also give him quiet time to ponder the eternal mystery of birds in the sky, bees in the sun, and flowers on a green hillside.
In school, teach him to know that it is more honorable to fail than to cheat.
Teach him to have faith in his own ideas, even if everyone tells him they are wrong. Teach him to be gentle with gentle people and tough with tough people.
Try to give him the strength on the bandwagon.
Teach him to listen to all men but teach him also to filter all he hears on a screen of truth and take only the good that comes through.
Teach him how to laugh even when he is sad.
Teach him there is no shame in tears.
Teach him to close his ears to a howling mob and to stand and fight if he thinks he is right.
Treat him gently but do not cuddle him because only the test of fire makes fine steel.
Let him have the courage to be inpatient and let him have the patience to be brave.
Teach him always to have sublime faith in his creator and faith in himself too, because then he will always have faith in mankind…
With the proliferation of Nursery schools in our environment, teachers are warned not to discipline any child with cane so that children’s enrolment in the school should be high. Whatever a child does in school doesn’t matter. Parents who don’t want teachers to discipline their children and proprietors who don’t want teachers to discipline any child in his school so that the population of his school should be high have seen the sad end of our youths being plunged into cultism. The church is also not helping in children’s development. The church should go beyond Bible study alone, but also in developing the young minds in the areas of vocational skills, intellectual skills. Let the church bring other developmental plans to help mold the youths to become a complete total man. After all, we have good hands to do the job.
REASONS FOR NEGLECT OF CHILDREN’S DISCIPLINE
- Being the only child for the parent.
- Circumstances of birth
- Parents are too busy
- He is a male child
- Being the only female.
THE RESULT OF NEGLIGENCE OF CHILD’S DISCIPLINE
- The result are enormous
- Many of us have experience than being told
- Cultism, drug addiction, school dropout, premarital sex and unwanted pregnancy, abortion and death, STDs etc.
- Heart breaks to parents
- Shame to parent
- Arm robbery
Let me ask “WHERE ARE YOUR CHILDREN?” In Cameroun, Italy, Rome etc. Some are in hide out to escape remedies.
How long will they hide? If they can hide from the present of men, they can’t hide from God?
YOU THE WAYWARD CHILD,
- It is right time for you to repent.
- Remember how Adonijah ended
- When Solomon was installed to the throne of David, his father, Adonijah sought refuge at the altar (1 Kings 1:49, 50). Solomon pardoned him, and he returned home (1:51, 33).
- But after the death of David, Adonijah emboldened himself to ask Bathsheba to persuade King Solomon to give him Abishag, David’s nurse in his last illness, for a wife (2:13-18). This reviewed Solomon’s suspicion and he had him killed (2:19-25).
A LITTLE MONITORING”
- Friends our children’s keep
- Quiet hours of your children
- Books they read
- Games they play
- Their friends and their friends parents
- Where their friends lived
- Which church your children’s friends go.
Oh! You say it doesn’t matter!
Well, if it doesn’t matter today, it may matter tomorrow at our old age when our children will tell us to die so that they can inherit our properti
Conclusion: May the Lord be merciful unto us and bring back our wayward children to us like the prodigal son. May the Lord continue to protect our children who are God fearing in Jesus Name – Amen
UYO TOWN CHURCH OF CHRIST, 20 PAUL BASSEY STREET, UYO
SERMON PRESENTED BY BRO. M. M. AKPAN (MIN.) ON 19THFEBRUARY, 2017