BIBLE PASSAGE: Luke 15: 11 – 28
POINTS TO NOTE FROM THE STORY
- The son who eyes his INHERITANCE rather than the FAMILY.
- The pig house, his 3rd home – what a degradation for a Jew. HE HIT THE ROCK BOTTOM OF LIFE. It can be a degradation for every PRODIGAL.
- HIS FATHER: Ever loving, most welcoming, ever forgiving after a penitent confession
- His Brother: BITTER, UNACCOMMODATING, UNFORGIVING – A TYPICAL PHARISEE!
WHY WAS THE PRODIGAL LURED AWAY?
- Lust of the flesh – what makes me or you feel good
- Lust of the eye – what I want to acquire even if it belongs to another.
- Pride of life which leads to arrogance – Me first or no other
Question: Where are you in the story – the prodigal, his brother or his father?
We have many prodigals in families, the church and beyond.
- Some parents fail to train up their children in the way they must go (Prov. 22: 6) – the prodigal.The multiplicity of militancy in Nigeria is a clear indication that MANY parents have failed their families, the church, the nation and God.
- Many husbands have become prodigals when they fail to love their wives the way God would have them do.
- Many wives have refused to serve their husbands. They have other interests. This is a prodigal wife. NEGLECT, DESERTION AND ABANDON ARE ALL EXPRESSION OF BEING PRODIGAL. Many husbands die because their wives have turned out to be thorns in the flesh.
- Children are supposed to obey their parents in the Lord (Eph. 6: 1 – 3) UNFORTUNATELY, many children become sources of SORROW AND SHAME to their parents. There is heavy punishment for this. There are glaring instances of death of under 30 and 50 years here and there. This is PREVENTABLE.
- CHURCH MEMBERS WHO LOVE THE WORLD LIKE DEMAS ARE PRODIGALS
Read 2 Tim. 4: 10, “for Demas has forsaken me having loved this present world and has departed into Thessalonica
WHY MANY CHRISTIANS FOLLOW DEMAS AND FALL AWAY FROM THE ONE FAIYH THAT WAS DELIVERED TO THE SAINTS
- FLESHLY GRATIFICATION –a temporary joy which brings sorrow later on.
Many of our young evangelists want these three all at once to become famous TV/Radio Pastors whose names are well known. They have airplanes and fancy cars, money. They are worshiped by a large followership. There EGO is too big for the kingdom of God.
The Spirit and the Bride are telling you to come. The Father is inviting you back home. The Apostle John tells those who are like Demas i.e all prodigals who show no remorse, will be ashamed at the second coming of the Lord (1 John 2: 28). Maintain your love and confidence in Christ. The Father wants all prodigals to return home.
UYO TOWN CHURCH OF CHRIST, 20 PAUL BASSEY STREET, UYO
SERMON PRESENTED BY BRO. (PROF.) MOSES AKPAN UDO
ON 21ST MAY, 2017