[su_button url=”https://uyotowncoc.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/SUNDAY-SCHOOL-October-2018-1.pdf” background=”#be630a” size=”5″ center=”yes” radius=”round” icon=”icon: arrow-circle-down” icon_color=”#ffffff” text_shadow=”1px 2px 1px #000000″]Download[/su_button]
TEXT: HEBREW 10:25
Spiritual growth is not automatic.
It takes an intentional commitment. You must want to grow, decide to grow, make an effort to grow
and persist in growing.
One of the ways to demonstrate your desire for spiritual growth is by being regular in church
DEFINITION OF KEY WORDS
- REGULAR: Happening or done very often.
- CHURCH: A group of people who follow the same Christian religious beliefs.
- The number of people present at an event, meeting, etc.
- The act of being present at a place.
- A record of how often a person goes to classes, meetings, etc.
- RELEVANCE: Relation to the matter at hand.
- SPIRITUAL: Of or relating to religious or religious belief.
- GROWTH: Progressive development indicating increase and expansion.
OBJECTIVES OF THE LESSON
- To remind Christians not to forsake the assembly of the Saints.
- To awaken our consciousness on the need to grow spiritually.
- To remind Christians that regular church attendance has a role to play in our spiritual growth.
- To have an improvement in church attendance at every programme of the church.
It is sad that whenever we talk of regular church attendance, some of us think it should start and end
with Sunday morning worship, Monday and Friday general Bible classes.
- singing practice
- skills development class
- morning prayer (for those living around Paul Bassey Street)
- Evening Service on Sunday
- women’s Bible Class
- church business meeting, etc.
Since the emphasis is on our spiritual growth, we should note that whether there is attendance card
to be extracted or not.
We should avail ourselves to be taught as Paul admonished Timothy in II Timothy 2:15.
IMPORTANCE OF ASSEMBLING
- To increase in knowledge – II Pet. 1:5, II Tim. 2:15
- To teach and admonish others – 5:19
- To grow in Christian virtues – II Pet. 1:5-11
- To press toward the prize – 3:12-14
- To guard against falling away – II Pet. 2:20-22
- To show faith in God/Christ – James 2:18
- To prove love of the Lord – John 14:15
- To let our light shine – 5:16
- To avoid disobeying God – 10:25
- To keep appointment with God – 18:20
- To become stronger and grow – I Pet. 2:2-3
- To grow on to perfection – II Pet. 3:18
DEMERITS OF IRREGULAR ATTENDANCE
- It is a sin – James 4:17
- It is a form of disobedience to God’s instruction – 10:25
- We would lack development – II Pet. 3:18
- We would be stuck in perpetual spiritual infancy – I Pet. 2:2
- We would risked being disfellowshipped – 16:17;Heb.13:7,17
- It is a form of disobedience to the Elders – 20:28
- It is a bad example to the new converts and our children.
SOME OF THE EXCUSES OF IRREGULAR ATTENDANCE
- My business does not give me time for church programmes.
WHO is making that business to thrive? GOD.
- My studies consume all my time.
WHO made that school admission possible? GOD.
- I’m working for Government/private investor and the job is so time consuming.
WHO gave you that job? GOD.
- My children are too small and I don’t have house help.
WHO gave those children to you? GOD.
- What is even the qualification of the teacher assigned to teach?
WHO made your professorship possible? GOD.
- “Temptations” – Problems of life: (troubled marriage, lack of clothes, “illness”, insubordinate children, delay in payment of salary, childlessness, singleness, football matches, bet naija, social media, APC & PDP, soured business relationship, debt, silent protest, etc).
WHO promised us in I Cor. 10:13 that no temptation will come our way except that which is common
to man and he will not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear and he will also make a way of escape? GOD.
Brethren, rather than marshalling out excuses as reasons for our irregular attendance during church
programmes, we should endeavour to be regular during church programmes because NO EXCUSE is
Having X-rayed the role of regular church attendance vis-à-vis our spiritual growth, it would not be
an overstatement to conclude that without regular church attendance our spiritual growth would not
only be STUNTED but also RETROGRESSIVE.
May God bless us in Jesus Name – Amen.
UYO TOWN CHURCH OF CHRIST, 20 PAUL BASSEY STREET, UYO
SUNDAY SCHOOL FOR OCTOBER, 2018
PRESENTED BY BRO. UBONG BASSEY