Heaven is a country many faithful in the past desired of. It is a country no one would be allowed to pay just a visit and return. It is a country for the nobles, a well prepared place for the well prepared individuals. How prepared are we, how prepared am I, and how prepared are you.
DEFINITION OF KEY WORDS
HEAVEN: (1) The place believed or regarded to be the home of God
(2) A place or situation in which you are very happy – Heaven, a place of happiness.
QUALIFY: To reach the standard of ability or knowledge needed for a particular job.
QUALIFICATION: The fact of passing an exam, completing a course of training or reaching the standard necessary to do a job or taken in a competition.
To spur up Christians and to remind them that there is a place called heaven.
Some of us were so friendly with the word “heaven” when we were first baptized into the Church of Christ than it is now. Whether we will be able to rescue some of us from the influence of politics to the influence of heaven.
This lesson will remind us of the requirements of entrance into heaven. It is going to help to see the great role played by the church in man’s journey to heaven.
Having introduced the lesson, keys words defined, aims and objectives ascertained, we can now go on with the discussion of the lesson. Please, be with us, let us see whether through this lesson some of the Christians hearts could be retrieved from political arena to heaven, and people will begin to focus their attention to heaven to continue how to live a righteous life which is a key to heaven.
The topic contains few questions: Those questions are to be answered.
- Who are qualified to be in heaven?
God the Father of all mankind, whose abode is heaven and who has been there from eternity to eternity is there already (Psa. 80:14 –Return, we beseech thee, O God of hosts: look down from heaven, and behold, and visit this vine.
Jesus Christ the son of God is there – John 3:13 – And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the son of man which is in heaven.
John 6:38 – For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.
Holy Spirit – John 15:26 – But the comforter is come, whom I will send to you from the Father, He will testify of me.
The angels, the righteous men and women of all nations, and languages and tongues, those whose names had been written in the book of life. Dan. 12:1; Phil. 4:3; Rev. 3:5; 13:8
Righteous people: The pure in heart – Matt. 5:8 – Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
Peacemakers – Matt. 5:9 – Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.
Question No. 2 – What and what will be found there?
- Peace and peacemakers as we have already mentioned.
- Righteousness as we have said, heaven is a place for the righteous.
- The truth.
- Life will be there.
- Happiness will be there.
- Love will be there.
- Light – there will be light – (Rev. 21:23-24 – And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it, for the glory of God did lighter it, the lamb is the light. And the notions of them which are saved shall walk in the light, the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour unto it.
- Songs of praise.
- There will be joy.
- Church will be there. (Church of Christ) 1 Cor. 15:24 – Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the Kingdom to God, even the Father: when he shall have down all rule and all authority and power.
Question No. 3:What and what will not enter there?
- Malice will not have any room there – Col. 3:8 – But now ye also put off these; anger, wrath, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
- Lie will not be there – Rev. 21:8 – But the fearful and unbelieving and the abominable and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, have their part in the lake which burnth with fire and brimstone which is the second death.
- No gossiping will be there.
- No hatred.
- No death will enter there – Rev. 21:4 – And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes: And shall be no more death, no more sorrow, no more crying, neither shall there any pain: for the former things are passed away. And many other vices shall not be there. Those are the things that will lead us out of heaven.
Brethren, let us come back and discuss heaven, because heaven is real, as we did in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s and some 1990, which we were nearer to heaven than we are now.
If Christ had come back during one of those periods, many of us would have gone to heaven. WHY?
Because, when we look at the general behaviour of some of us, there is nothing to write home about, it seems we have forgotten about heaven and spend our time, energy and money to discuss mundane things such as politics, witches and wizards.
Let us look at the beliefof some of us today, don’t we believe that “Ifot” is more powerful than God and Christ? Do we still believe inn the ones of the Church of Christ? If we still have that belief, we do many of us fall head long in giving our daughters in marriage to none members of the Church of God, even preachers and long-standing members, both male and female.
Let’s glance through our faith today as compared to the part whether it is stronger or weaker. To some of instead of our faith to grow stronger and stronger is growing weaker and weaker.
How many of us are still relating freely and stronger with our relatives and friends. How do you allow your children to relate with their uncles, aunties, grand-parents and grand-mothers and your neighbours. All these attitudes are drifting us away from God and as we are away God and these habits can never allow us to qualify to get to and we have no instead for heaven.
During the fore mentioned periods, we are witnesses to ourselves that we were closer to heaven than we are now. Today we are too busy and no time for things of God. Stay blessed children of God. Remember our destination is heaven and nothing else. Thank you.
UYO TOWN CHURCH OF CHRIST, 20 PAUL BASSEY STREET, UYO
INDOOR LECTURE DELIVERED BY E. A. U. EKONG (MIN) ON 2ND JULY, 2017