[su_button url=”https://uyotowncoc.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Indoor-Lecture-for-September-2018.pdf” background=”#be630a” size=”5″ center=”yes” radius=”round” icon=”icon: arrow-circle-down” icon_color=”#ffffff” text_shadow=”1px 2px 1px #000000″]Download[/su_button]
TEXT: 2 TIM. 3:2
Godlessness is the direct opposite of Godliness. Just as truth opposites falsehood and dankness goes against light. Whereas godliness will keep the Christian values towards Christ and His laws, godlessness on the other hand, tends to drive the Christian away from embracing Christ and His declared values.
This lesson is principally tailored toward enlightening the Christians on the clear difference between godlessness and godliness and the effect that changing values will bring on a Christian.
Values are standards of behaviour and a Christian is one chosen by Christ through baptism to be of service to Him.
- God’s Original Intention for Man
Right from the time of creation, God wanted man to be like Him, live by His values and do His will. Hence, He made man in His own image, after His likeness (Gen. 1:26-27). To ensure that man would have no reason to wander away from His divine values, God gave man unhindered authority over all that He had made before He created man (Gen. 1:28). Godly values or spiritual norms are the Godly qualities (2 Pet. 1:5-9) and the fruit of the spirit (Gal. 5:22-25).
The values that God had decreed for man to keep and maintain had been settled in heaven (Ps. 119:89) in all the three dispensations – Patriarchal, Mosaic and Christian. God never intended man to deviate from these norms.
In the time of Noah, the hero of the flood, God destroyed all that were outside the Ark (Gen. 6:5-8, 8:1). In the Mosaic Age, God punished the disobedient children of Israel (1 Cor. 10:1-5) and even barred Moses, the Great Leader from entering the Promised Land (Ps. 106:32-33).
It would therefore, be naïve for us in the Christian Age to think that God would spare the wicked and destroy the righteous.
- Value Establishment
It takes time to establish values, be it as an individual, family, village or nation; we have cultural values, too. These values, once established, are jealously guarded. Some of these values are magnified into totems as the Children of Israel did to the brazen serpent (Num. 21:8-9; 2 Kings 18:4).
- Changing the Values
The record in 2 Timothy 3:1-9 exposes in full the unholy concept of value change and the sad damage its brings to the Christian.
- This know also, that in the last days perilous (grievous) times shall come.
- For men shall be lovers of their own selves (selfish), covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers (railers), disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy.
- Without natural affection, truce breakers (implacable), false accusers (slanderers), incontinent (without self control), fierce, despisers of those that are good.
- Traitors, heady, high-minded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God.
- Having a form of godliness but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
- For this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers sins.
- Ever learning, and never able to come to the truth.
- … they resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.
- But they shall proceed no further: their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was.
- The Value Change Affects
- The Individual – The individual will turn away from the path of righteousness and swing towards vanity endangering his life and the lives of those around him.
- The Family – The family will leave what should be done undone and pressed on to do the vile. This will leave a sour taste in the mouths of the inmates.
- The Church – Its effect on the church will be devastating. Her integrity will be dampened. Her journey to Heaven impeded.
- Appropriate Treatment
The best recommended treatment for this malaise is AVOIDANCE of these enemies of TRUTH (2 Tim. 3:5).
When these enemies of Truth are consciously avoided, the individual will certainly discover his beacon of light to lead him. The family will find its sense of direction and the church her spiritual compass to guide her through the murky waters of this untoward generation.
Brethren, let us day by day learn to add to diligence, faith; and to faith virtue; to virtue knowledge and to knowledge temperance. To temperance patience, and to patience godliness.To godliness Brotherly kindness and to kindness charity. For if these things be in us and abound, they will make us that we shall neither be barren (idle) nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
But he that lacketh these things is blind and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from old sins.
… Brethren, let us give diligence to make our calling and election sure: for if we do these things we shall never fall (stumble) – 2 Pet. 1:5-9.
May our Heavenly Father give us the grace to diligently stand firm and resist the devil.
UYO TOWN CHURCH OF CHRIST, 20 PAUL BASSEY STREET, UYO
INDOOR LECTURE FOR SEPTEMBER 2018, DELIVERED BY BRO. U. T. JIMMY (EVANG)